vs. ELECTRIC BOILER
AFRICAN electricity costs : * R0.94 kW. / Hr. (Check
this cost in your area)
a 5 kW
unit, the electricity costs for a family of
6, with each person showering for 5 minutes a day -
R 93.00 per month
/ 60min) x 5kw x 6People x 5minutes = R3.00
/day = R 93.00 per month.
Standard heat loss formula for a 150 liters boiler =
0.4watts per liter + 60 watts
• Cost per hour to maintain boiler at temperature
= (0.4w x 150 liter)+ 60w = 120w
• At current cost of * R0.94 kW / Hr * = 0.120w
x R0.94 = R0.11 / Hr
• 24hrs x 365days = 8760hrs per annum = R
0.11 x 8760 = R963.60 p.a.
• Losses from the boiler only,
= R 96.36 per month
NOTE : This excludes the cost of showering as in the
calculation. There are other costs when using a geyser,
this is when the tap is situated some distance from
the boiler, hot water is left to cool
in the pipes every time the hot tap is opened.
are huge benefits for those people who cannot afford
a standard geyser which costs a lot more to purchase
and could consume 5 times more electricity than the
for demonstrating a
1. Attach the rubber (Gardena) connector to a cold-water
2. Connect the hose, which is attached to the Speedheat
to the above.
3. Fit the 15-amp plug, connected to the cable from
the Speedheat into the plug socket. Keep the power off
for the moment.
4. Holding the unit with the electrical cover to the
top, open the tap allowing a good flow of water. Switch
on the power and within 15 seconds the water will be
5. Slowly reduce the flow of water to achieve the desired
A 5 kW unit will draw 22 amps of electricity thus
requiring a 25-amp circuit breaker. Should the plug
socket being used for the demonstration be protected
by a 15-amp circuit breaker, it may trip. Try it to
see if it works, if it is demonstrated for a short period
of time, sometimes you can get away with it. This is
not recommended for the proper installation. Please
read the instructions supplied with the unit.
a proper installation the unit will be connected to
the DB. The power to the unit can remain switched on,
even when not being used. Only when the water is flowing
through the unit will the element switch on.